A true Basque specialty, the Basque tart is full of flavors and spices.
Ingredients for 4 persons :
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 onion
- 1 pepper red, 1 pepper green
- 2 cutlets of chicken
- 20 g butter
- 1 tbsp. teaspoon paprika
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 10 cl of white wine
- 1 tbsp. level tablespoons cane sugar
- 3 eggs
- 25 cl of liquid cream
- 1 pinch of Espelette pepper
- 1 pure butter shortcrust pastry
- Salt, freshly ground pepper
Basque chicken tart, the recipe
- Peel, cut the tomatoes in half, remove the seeds and cut them into small pieces.
- Peel, wash and chop the garlic (previously degermed) and the onion.
- Wash and seed the peppers. Cut them into thin slices.
- Slice the chicken cutlets into thin strips.
In a pan,
- Melt the butter, add the chicken strips and cook them until nicely colored.
- Add the peppers, onion, garlic, paprika and thyme leaves.
- Cook over low heat for about 5 minutes.
- Deglaze with the white wine, let the wine evaporate then add the tomatoes, cane sugar and season.
In a salad bowl,
- Beat 2 whole eggs and a yolk,
- Add the cream and season with Espelette pepper, salt and pepper.
Preheat the oven to 180 ° C (th. 6).
- Roll out the dough in a pie plate, prick the bottom with a fork and pre-bake for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Distribute the sauce and the chicken on the precooked pie shell then pour the contents of the salad bowl. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes.
Serve hot or cold!
You can add seasonal vegetables, either eggplants and courgettes, either pumpkin…
Recipe: A. Beauvais Photo: F. Hamel