Oak leaf lettuce, green, red or blonde is an easy to grow green salad that requires little space and is accessible to everyone.
To your seedlings!
In summary, what you need to know:
Last name : Lactuca sativa var. twitched
Family : Asteraceae
Type : Annual
Height : 20 to 30 cm
Exposure : Sunny and partial shade
Ground : Ordinary
Harvest : About 6 weeks after sowing
Oak leaf lettuce seedlings
Thelettuce oak leaf is seeded quite early in the year, starting in February.
In place and online of February to October according to types and species.
- The sooner we start, the more it will be necessary to protect your seedlings from chassis, bells or tunnel.
- You can sow in the ground without shelter from the month of May
Concerning the summer sowing, germination is difficult beyond 20 ° so do not hesitate to sow them in a slightly cooler place, even in the shade ...
It's better to sow or plant a small amount of oak leaf lettuce but on a regular basis so you always have crunchy lettuce.
Spring oak leaf: Seedling in the nursery in February / March.
Remove the tunnel as soon as the frosts end.
Autumn oak leaf: Sowing in place from May to June.
Winter oak leaf: Seedling in the nursery from August to October.
In all cases, it will be appropriate to thin out to 25/30 cm as soon as the first leaves appear.
You should also know that salad grows very well in a pot and that you can therefore enjoy it on your balcony or terrace.
Plant oak leaf lettuce
If you want to avoid the sowing step, it is possible to buy your lettuce in pot (cup) with small leaves.
You will then plant them in the ground, whether in vegetable garden or in a ferry on a terrace or balcony.
- Respect a distance of 30 cm between each plant and water regularly.
- Again only plant what you need and renew the plantings regularly
Oak leaf lettuce harvest
Harvest your salads, lettuce or romaine, when the core of these has reached a good size.
- When harvesting it is no need to pull out the root because you will prevent it from making new leaves.
- It is better to use a good knife and cut the lettuce at the collar.
Leave the white part in this way and new shoots will appear quickly for another harvest.
- Water regularly to keep the soil moist.
- It is essential harvest before going to seed
Don't wait to harvest your lettuce because the crunchier it is, the better!
Growing oak leaf lettuce in winter
It is possible to harvest salad all year round but also during the winter period.
For this, choose varieties of winter head lettuce like the Winter Wonder, the Winter Green Passion, the Blooddrop Batavia, the Val d´Orge, and the Winter Brown.
- You will sowAugust to October, directly in place.
As soon as the first cold weather arrives, you go protect your seedlings and crops with a small greenhouse, a tunnel or any other support allowing your lettuce to grow despite the frost and allowing maximum light to pass through.
Good to know about oak leaf lettuce
Relatively easy to grow, lettuce requires little maintenance throughout its growth, other than regular but measured watering.
Annual of the asteraceae family, lettuce is relatively poor in energy value while still containing a large amount of water and an excellent omega 3 intake.
There are also trace elements, fiber, minerals and vitamins essential for the proper development of our organizations.
- You will understand, the salad has many advantages, both for its ease of cultivation and for its nutritional qualities.
Among the varieties of oak leaf lettuce we find:
- Lansai, a red oak leaf
- Panisse, a green oak leaf
- Salad Bowl, a blond green oak leaf
Store the oak leaf well
Although its shelf life is relatively short, it can be stored for a bit longer by placing it in the vegetable drawer of the refrigerator, surrounded by a tea towel or loosely wrapped plastic wrap.
- But the best path for oak leaf lettuce is the one that goes from the garden to your plate!
Tip about oak leaf
Avoid sowing too many seeds at a time so as not to overproduce, prefer to spread the seedlings over time.