Fragrant and tender on the palate, this veal kidney recipe with old-fashioned mustard sauce is quick and easy to make.
Ingredients for 4 persons :
- 2 shallots
- 500 g of veal kidneys
- 60 g unsalted butter
- 2 cl of cognac
- 10 cl of veal stock
- 10 cl of whole liquid cream
- 2 tbsp. heaped tablespoons of old-fashioned mustard
- Salt, freshly ground pepper
Veal kidneys, old-fashioned mustard sauce
Peel and chop the shallots.
- Prepare the kidneys: remove the nuts, remove the sinew. Cut them into 2 cm pieces.
In a pan,
- Melt 50 g of butter and brown the kidneys on each side. Be careful, they must remain pink.
- Season with salt and pepper, then place in a hot dish.
- In the same pan, pour the rest of the butter, melt and brown the shallots. Deglaze and flambé with cognac.
- Add the veal stock, cream and mustard, simmer until the sauce coats the spoon.
Return the kidneys to the sauce, check the seasoning and serve immediately.
Sear the veal kidneys over high heat for a few seconds, then lower the heat and color them on each side for 2 to 3 minutes in
sprinkling them regularly with fat.
- Vary the flavors by replacing the cognac with white wine and the butter with olive oil; color an onion with the shallots and add a bouquet garni in the sauce; sprinkle with chopped chives when ready to serve.
- Another variation: replace the cognac with red port and simmer sliced button mushrooms in the sauce.
- As an accompaniment to these kidneys, you can prepare homemade mashed potatoes, basmati rice, fresh pasta, pan-fried forest mushrooms.
- If you have any cooked kidneys left, chop them very finely to garnish a mesclun with salad or young shoots.
Prepare a vinaigrette made with raspberry vinegar, grape seed oil and mustard. Use the sauce to flavor this seasoning.
Recipe: A. Beauvais, Photo: F. Hamel