In the garden in spring or in an indoor pot, the hyacinth is one of the prettiest bulb flowers.
In summary, what you need to know:
Last name : Hyacinthus
Family : Liliaceae
Type: Spring bulb
Height : 20 to 30 cm
Exposure : Sunny and partial shade
Ground : Ordinary
Flowering : Spring
Indoors : Winter
- Colors to warm up winter
- Scille, the bluebell
- Our articles devoted to hyacinth
It is normally used outdoors, but it can also be found at the start of winter in our interiors.
Planting and caring for hyacinth from spring to winter, here are all the tips.
Hyacinth in the garden:
Preferably plant your hyacinths in autumn at a depth of 10 cm, for a flowering in spring.
- Hyacinths are most beautiful grouped in clumps.
- It is necessary for that plant the bulbs in groups spacing them 10-15 cm apart.
- The more there are, the more successful!
- Find our advice for plant bulbs well
- Tips for to plant bulbs in clay soil
Indoor hyacinth in a pot in winter:
It is possible to make the hyacinths inside from his house, from fall until early spring.
From the month of September and until the month of January,
- In a pot or a cup, make a bed of potting soil about 3 or 4 cm.
- Place the bulbs so that it touches each other for a nice compact effect.
- Cover with potting soil leaving just the tips of the bulbs out.
- Place everything in a cool, dark and relatively humid place.
- As soon as the leaves come out, place the cup in a bright place and a little less cool (about 10 °)
A few days later you can put them in your house to enjoy the flowering.
Caring for hyacinth
Hyacinth in the garden, in the ground:
Hyacinths that are planted in the ground in autumn bloom in spring, which is the normal flowering time.
> In end of flowering, cut the foliage when it has well yellowed and only then because that is when the plant builds up its reserves for the next flowering.
Hyacinths grown in pots are intended to flourish our interiors by winter. There is no point in keeping them in their pots because they will not bloom again unless you put them outside.
> At the end of flowering, it is useless to keep your hyacinths in pots because those that have flowered indoors will flower only once.
You can, however, put the bulbs in the ground outside for flowering within 1 or 2 years.
To know about the hyacinth
Characterized by its pretty cluster flowers, they form beautiful scented bells.
The hyacinth offers a very beautiful spectacle from the very beginning of spring outdoors and from December indoors.
> In solid, in a planter or in a bouquet, its pastel, pink, blue or white colors will enchant you.
Hyacinths are classified into 2 categories:
> Garden hyacinth, these are the ones that are found especially in jars at Christmas time.
> Parisian hyacinth or provincialis and, the hyacinth albulus, roman or romanus.
These last 2 are the most resistant over the years.
Do not be surprised if, over the years, the hyacinth blooms less and less, this is inevitable. Remember to regularly replant new bulbs.
Also read on bulb flowers:
- How to plant bulbs and hyacinth
- Plant hyacinths in clayey, flooded soil
- The bulbs that bloom in summer