Magnolia grandiflora, or summer, is the most common of the magnolias and also the evergreen one.
In summary, what you need to know:
Last name : Magnolia Grandiflora
Family : Magnoliaceae
Height : 5 to 20 m
Exposure : Rather sunny
Ground : Rich and fresh, quite deep
Foliage : Persistent -Flowering : Summer
- Magnolia, a sumptuous tree
Well established, the evergreen magnolia is easy to care for. Take care of the plantation to ensure good growth throughout the seasons.
Planting evergreen magnolia
It is recommended to plant magnolia grandiflora atautumn in order to promote rooting before winter and therefore recovery in spring.
For themagnolia grandiflora purchased in container, you can easily plant it in the spring.
Evergreen magnolias can reach 20 meters in height and should therefore be planted away from homes. It is also when it is well isolated that it is most to its advantage.
- The magnolia grandiflora fears strong, cool winds in winter.
- If you plant in winter, avoid periods of frost.
- In any case, prefer a place not too hot summer neither too wet Winter.
- When planting, provide a regular watering in spring
- It needs watering in hot weather.
- Straw the base of the tree to retain moisture and prevent weed growth.
- The pine bark are perfectly suited because they like acidic soils.
Caring for magnolia grandiflora
Magnolia grandiflora requires little maintenance and is even very resistant to diseases, although a few tips will allow you to have better flowering:
- Straw the foot with maritime pine bark to maintain the level ofacidity it needs
- Mulching also brings some moisture to the soil, which the magnolia tree will take advantage of during the hottest months.
- Water regularly for 2 years after planting.
TheMagnolia grandiflora is a tree that requires little care when properly installed and will adorn your garden for years to come.
Pests are few in number to attack magnolias grandifloras, although there are occasionally a few aphids and even more rarely red spiders in summer.
Pruning magnolia grandiflora
No size is really necessary, but if you want reduce or balance or reshape the antlers, do it at the end of winter, around March April.
Pruning possible in winter to balance the antlers. Note that what most characterizes the magnolia is its natural form and that it is therefore important to preserve it by avoiding unbalancing the branches.
- Remove dead branches and more fragile branches as you go.
To know about the evergreen magnolia
The magnolia is famous and even inspired some artists!
Its name was given to it in homage to Pierre Magnol, famous botanist. It was in Nantes that he landed for the first time in Europe from the United States.
It is appreciated for its superb summer flowering but also for hisperfumeremarkable.
We find in magnolias trees but also shrub varieties, ideal for small gardens.
Note also that there are two main types of magnolias, one persistent, the other deciduous:
- Evergreen magnolia, also called Large-flowered magnolia orMagnolia grandiflora. The flowers appear in summer, forming large tulip-shaped inflorescences 20 to 25 cm in diameter.
- Magnolias at deciduous foliage, also called Magnolia de Soulanges orMagnolia soulangeana. They flower in early spring, before the leaves appear.
The maritime pine bark will give this tree the acidity it needs to thrive and allow it to retain moisture.
For more efficiency, also straw in the summer in a layer of 4-5 cm.