Kale (Brassica oleraceavar.sabellica) is a very cold hardy leafy vegetable grown for its large, cut leaves.
Packed with nutrients, vitamins and minerals, but also fiber, kale is an excellent antioxidant.
Kale and its health benefits
For a long time, cabbage was considered effective in combating chest and lung ailments.
Cabbage cooked in water is used to relieve inflammatory diseases.
Today, kale is one of the "top ten" health foods: It has antioxidant properties. It is rich in fiber and trace elements.
- Kale is a very good source of vitamin C. It contributes to maintaining the integrity of the skin, to the healing and protects against aging. Kale has a positive effect on dyspeptic disorders various. Gastric burns, hiatus hernias, nausea, regurgitation, hepatobiliary dyspepsia.
- It allows to regulate the functions naturally intestinal.
- Cabbage is a good source of calcium, essential for the health of the bones, the regulation of pressure arterial.
- With its contribution inpotassium, kale reduces the risk of disease cardiovascular.
- Rich in vitamins and minerals, cabbage is beneficial in case ofanemia.
- For external use, raw cabbage helps healing and relieves rheumatic pains, headaches, sciatica and aching joints.
In cure, kale promises significant elimination and rapid weightloss.
The "cabbage soup" diet
Kale broth - tomatoes - garlic - onion - pepper - carrots - celery and parsley, morning noon and evening, should not however exceed one week.
- To discover: the recipe for cabbage soup
Kale in the kitchen
- Kale is best eatencooked, after being blanched or raw, in thin strips in salad.
- Paired with tomatoes, green peppers and celery, kale forms abroth used to cleanse the body of all its impurities.
- The Sauerkraut (obtained from lactofermentation of the leaves) is also excellent for digestion : its acidity is perfect for lazy stomachs and its lactic acid a good disinfectant for the digestive tract.
- As with lettuce, kale will keep its crisp if covered with a tissue or paper towel in the refrigerator.
Nutritional Intakes of Kale
With a contribution caloric very low (25 kcal / 100 g), kale is a food slimming ideal. Very rich in vitamin C, B1, B9, E, it also contains calcium, iron, sulfur, sodium and potassium.
It is also a diuretic and contains antioxidants.
Growing kale for its health benefits
The kale must be planted in at Sun to fully develop. He needs a fresh soil, and well drained.
- Be careful, it does not tolerate stagnant water.
You will get a good yield if you choose to grow your kale in pot (30 cm minimum)
Watch your cabbages carefully: many little beasts (aphids, flies, weevils, etc.) are very fond of it. Your leaves would then be riddled with holes, discolored or even rotten.