The plum tree, beautiful from spring to fall, offers bountiful harvests of plums.
In summary, what you need to know:
Last name : Prunus domestica
Family : Rosaceae
Type : Tree fruit tree
Height : 5 to 6 m
Exposure : Sunny
Ground : Rich enough
Foliage : Expired -Flowering : Spring -Harvest : Summer
Read also :
- Plum: health benefits and virtues
- The plum: history, culture and use in cooking
Planting, maintenance and pruning are important to prevent disease and ensure proper development of your plum tree.
Plum tree plantation
Prefer a plantation to autumn or to spring but always avoiding periods of frost.
- The plum tree likes rather sunny situations to give good plums
- Expect your plum tree to reach full adult size within a few years, so it will need room to develop.
- During the first weeks, water regularly provided it does not freeze.
- So prefer watering during the day because the nights are often much cooler.
- To ensure a good development to your plum tree, see our planting tips.
Mix the varieties to stimulate pollination and therefore fruiting.
If you only plant one plum tree, choose a self-fertile variety such as the Plum d'Ente, the Mirabelle de Nancy or the Quetsche d'Alsace.
In the plum tree, pruning is as much about maintaining your tree as it is about improving the plum harvest.
General principle of size:
It is recommended to prune the strictly necessary because plum trees become susceptible to all types of injuries and therefore diseases.
After each intervention, therefore apply a healing putty to protect it from fungi.
Plum tree formation size:
You can practice a training size the first year to form the frame of the tree.
- Training pruning takes place in winter but outside the frost period.
- To do this, prune your tree so that you have 3 or 4 main branches facing outwards.
- Like all stone trees and in particular the Cherry tree, pruning is done in late summer or early fall.
After the plum harvest:
This maintenance size takes place throughout the winter, but outside the frost period.
- Delete it dead wood and fragile branches.
- Remove the fruits that are left on the tree, often diseased, and destroy them.
- Finally, remove rejections, that is, the shoots that develop at the foot of the tree. These greedy do not produce anything.
The plum tree is subject to certain diseases and pest attacks. Aphids remain the main enemy of the plum tree.
In prevention, certain organic treatments such as spraying nettle manure or horsetail manure are effective in strengthening the plum tree's defenses.
When mushrooms like the plum rot (moniliosis) or rust, there are suitable treatments.
- Fight against rotting plums on the tree
- Prinier rust treatment
The harvest will be better if the tree is fertilized with fruit tree fertilizer in the spring.
Harvesting and storing plums
The plum harvest takes place during the summer but the period varies as much depending on the varieties as the climate of your region.
When buying your plum tree, opting for a plum tree adapted to the climate of your region is the assurance of having a good harvest at the right time.
It's important to do not let the plum ripen too much on the tree because they end up falling and rotting on the ground.
- The earliest plums are harvested in early summer. Among them weGolden Japan, appreciated for its delicious yellow flesh.
- The semi-early plums are harvested in August. We find theReine-Claude 'true'
- Semi-late and late plums are harvested in late summer. Like the variety Reine-Claude de Bavay
Preservation of plums:
Unfortunately, it is difficult to keep plums for very long and that is why it is recommended to consume them quickly.
- To slightly increase the shelf life, store them in a cool, refrigerator.
To know about the plum tree
The plum tree is a fruit tree whose fresh plums are consumed or to make plum jams, liqueur, pastries or even dried fruits such as Agen prunes.
Which variety to choose to have beautiful plums?
The plum tree produces fleshy fruits rich in vitamin B and calcium as well as mineral salts.
We distinguish the mirabelles by their orange-yellow color ofquetsches whose color is blue. These are the varieties of plum that we like to cook for dessert.
The variety of plum used for the famous Agen prune is here Ente plum.
- Also find our delicious plum jam recipe
A mulching at the base of the tree prevents the growth of weeds, protects the roots from cold in winter and from evaporation of water in summer.
© Виктор Иден