Ipomea is a very pretty climbing plant with very generous flowering.
In summary, what you need to know:
Last name : Ipomoea
Family : Convolvulaceae
Type : Climbing plant, annual
Height : 3 to 6 m
Exposure : Sunny
Ground : Rich enough
Foliage : Obsolete
Flowering : June to November
While it can be invasive, the ipomée is low maintenance and will satisfy you quickly.
Although persistent in tropical environments, the ipomea is cultivated here as an annual and therefore will not grow back from year to year.
Perform a sowing under shelter from March, transplant in April and plant from May in a mixture of soil, potting soil and organic amendment.
- To do soak the seeds in lukewarm water for 1 hour before sowing in order to accelerate emergence
- Can also sow directly in the ground from mid-May but flowering will take place much later which is a shame for an annual plant
- Place the ipomea in a sunny place
Cultivation of ipomea in pots:
The cultivation of ipomea in pots is quite possible and even interesting to decorate a terrace or balcony.
- Choose a pot of sufficient diameter (About 30 cm)
- Make sure the pot is well drilled at the bottom and ideally put a bed of clay balls at the bottom
- Then fill the pot with soil for flowering plants
- Water as soon as the soil is dry on the surface without flooding the plant
Size and care of an ipomée
The ipomée has the advantage of being very easy and therefore requires very little maintenance.
Size of the ipomea:
No pruning is necessary because the ipomea only lasts a year.
If, however, it becomes invasive, you can easily cut a few stems as needed.
Watering the ipomea:
The ipomea should be watered regularly, especially in hot weather, but not excessively. Fertilizer for flowering plants should improve flowering, especially for potted ipomea.
Mulching at the foot helps keep moisture in after watering and therefore limits the number of waterings ...
To know about the ipomée
The growth of this plant is extremely fast: it can even reach 3 to 6 meters in a few weeks.
It has the advantage of being talkative and therefore of attaching itself to the trellis, fence, tree or arbor that it will literally embrace.
Its flowering is generous and its flowers form pretty trumpets. They have a fairly short lifespan but are constantly being renewed.
Positive : Regular but limited watering without excess is recommended during the flowering period.