The arbutus is a remarkable shrub thanks to its fruits and pretty strawberry-shaped berries.
In summary, what you need to know:
Last name : Arbutus unedo
Family : Ericaceae
Type : Shrub
Height : 2 to 5 m
Exposure : Sunny and partial shade
Ground : Ordinary
Foliage : Persistent -Flowering : Summer -Harvest : Fall
Planting, pruning and caring for the strawberry tree will improve the proper development of your shrub.
Planting the strawberry tree
It is recommended plant the arbutus in the fall but you can also easily plant it until spring, avoiding periods of frost.
- The arbutus likes sunny situations.
- It tolerates all types of soil but will grow best when it is well drained.
- The arbutus tolerates cold down to -12 ° C but appreciates places that are rather sheltered from the wind.
For hedges, space each foot at least 100 cm.
- Follow our planting tips.
Pruning and caring for the strawberry tree
Very easy to maintain, the arbutus grows quickly when properly installed and requires hardly any care.
Size of the strawberry tree:
The arbutus is pruned in the spring.
Avoid pruning in the fall as you risk compromising the arrival of beautiful berries that will remain on the tree throughout the winter.
- Follow our advice on how to properly prune a strawberry tree.
- For strawberry trees planted in hedges, follow our advice on how to properly trim a hedge.
Watering the strawberry tree:
The strawberry tree is a shrub that does not require a lot of water except for those grown in pots.
- Watering recommended for potted strawberry trees in summer.
Disease and treatment of strawberry tree:
- Stains of arbutus leaves
Harvesting and use of arbutus
Arbutus are harvested when they are fully ripe, that is to say very red and slightly softened.
Arbutus is used to make arbutus jams but also syrup and liquor.
Consumed raw, the arbutus has little taste or culinary interest.
To know about the strawberry tree
The Arbutus or arbutus is a very beautiful shrub which offers pretty edible fruits during flowering.
It is also called "Strawberry Tree" for their shape and color.
Easy to maintain, it adapts to all types of land, whether in massif or in hedge, but also in tub or pot for your terrace.
You will plant it in isolation but also as a hedge to brighten up your hedge in winter thanks to its decorative berries.
No need to add fertilizer, but you can mulch the base to limit weed growth in summer and protect the roots against the cold in winter.
Read also on shrubs:
- Flowering shrub ideas for a hedge
- The hedge, the best defense against disease
- Summer flowering shrubs
- Create a flowering hedge