A must-have among desserts, this lemon meringue pie should be unanimous around the table ...
Preparation time : 20 min
Cooking time : 20 min
Ingredients for 4 persons
For the lemon cream:
- 2 lemons
- 4 whole eggs
- 120 g sugar
- 70 g butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 store-bought shortbread
For the meringue:
- 2 egg whites
- 100g sugar
Lemon meringue pie recipe
Preheat the oven to 210 ° C.
- Wash the lemons, dry them and then zest them (take with a zester or with a manual grater the superficial part of the skin, rich in flavors). Cut them in half and then press them.
- Garnish a pie dish with the shortbread dough with its baking paper (to facilitate demoulding afterwards). Bake the dough “à blanc” for about 15 min at 210 ° C.
To be on the safe side, to keep the dough smooth and to prevent it from swelling in places, place some dried beans (or ceramic cooking balls) on top of it before placing it in the oven.
Prepare the lemon cream:
- In a bowl, beat the whole eggs with the sugar.
- In a saucepan, place the butter to melt it with the lemon juice and zest.
- Add the beaten eggs then cook, stirring with a whisk.
- Bring to a boil and cook until the cream thickens (count about 3 min).
Garnish the tart base with this cream then place in the fridge to set the lemon cream.
Prepare the meringue:
- Pour the two egg whites into a bowl with half the sugar.
- Whip the whites until they are already quite firm, then "tighten" them (make them denser) with the rest of the sugar.
- Place the meringue in a pastry bag and decorate the pie with it.
To brown it, two solutions: either with a kitchen torch or a few moments under the broiler.
Enjoy your meal !
Photo credits: Philippe Dufour / Interfel