Jam smart with products from your garden.
Why not a strawberry rhubarb jam!
Preparation time: 30 min
Cooking time: 30 min
Ingredients for the rhubarb jam:
- 500 g of rhubarb
- 500 g of strawberries
- 800 g granulated sugar
- The juice of 1 lemon
Strawberry rhubarb jam recipe
Strawberry Rhubarb Jam is one of the best ways to pair rhubarb with other fruit jam. This adds sweetness and removes the acidity from the rhubarb.
- Cut the large rhubarb leaves to keep only the petioles (rhubarb sticks)
Save the leaves to make rhubarb manure
- Thoroughly clean the petioles.
- Jealously guard the pink base of the freshly picked petioles.
- Wash the strawberries thoroughly and hull them
Picked in the spring, it is not necessary to remove the threads in the rhubarb, but picked in summer, it will be preferable according to taste to peel it and remove the threads by pulling them
- Cut the whole rhubarb into small pieces.
- Combine rhubarb and strawberries
- Cover with sugar and mix, allowing time to macerate for an hour or two.
Cooking strawberry rhubarb jam:
Collect the juice from the maceration and, over high heat, reduce it by 40 to 50%.
This will make it even easier to take your jam.
- Then put on the heat and gradually bring to a boil while stirring to avoid sticking to the bottom.
We can add to choice, before final cooking:
- A sachet of vanilla sugar or a vanilla pod previously cut into small cubes.
- A pinch of cinnamon.
- 2 cloves.
- Slivered almonds or almond powder.
- The juice of one lemon.
- A few mint leaves.
The jam is cooked when the mixture becomes smooth and its color turns pink.
- Put in jars, close them immediately and store them away from light
- If your jars are without a lid, you can also wait for them to cool, pour in melted paraffin and then cover them with a small square of decorated fabric that you will hold with a rubber band.
In any case, your jars of jam will remind you of your grandmother's gourmet and abundantly stocked cupboards and will remind your children that you really are a clever cook!
Discover other delicious recipes:
- dandelion jelly
- Blackberry jam
- Blackberry jelly