Oleander is a beautiful flowering shrub that blooms all summer.
In summary, what you need to know:
Last name : Nerium oleander
Family : Apocynaceae
Type : Shrub, laurel
Height : 1 to 3 m
Exposure : Sunny
Ground : Ordinary, well drained
Foliage: persistent -Flowering : Summer
Pruning, caring for, or watering oleander will improve flowering, growth and prevent disease.
Properly planting your oleander conditions the recovery and development of your shrub. Planting is an essential step.
> Oleander in earth
Planting of oleander takes place preferably in autumn or to spring.This is an important step for its growth.
- He likes the full sun and besheltered from the wind.
- Mix the soil from the garden with potting soil.
- Water well the first year after planting.
- Follow the tips for successful planting.
> Oleander in a pot
The culture of oleander in pot is quite possible and even recommended in areas where it is freezing in winter.
- Usepotting soil for flowering shrubs.
- Make sure the bottom of the pot is drilled to allow water to drain.
- In winter, if you fear severe frosts, bring your shrub into a bright room, cool but where it does not freeze.
> Oleander cutting
Oleander cuttings are the easiest technique to easily propagate your oleander.
We cut the oleander in August but it is quite possible to try it out as early as June or July.
- Find our tips for properly cutting a oleander
Caring for oleander
On the maintenance side, the oleander requires little care when properly installed.
For the oleander in pot, water when the soil is dry.
The earth is used up faster in pots and‘Fertilizer is strongly recommended to ensure abundant flowering.
A contribution in tomato or vegetable fertilizer is particularly suitable for having a abundant flowering throughout the summer.
> Pruning of oleander
Pruning oleander is not necessary, but it can promote flowering or limit its growth. We prune rather in spring or summer.
- Prune 1/3 of the branches to about 1/3 of their length to restore vigor to the shrub.
- You can cut down to 50 cm from the ground without problem, oleanders are not afraid of pruning.
- In case of frozen oleander, some branches have blackened during the winter, this whole part must be cut because it will not grow back.
> Oleander in a pot:
Oleander in a pot requires some requirements to bloom in summer.
- Water regularly, usually as soon as the soil is dry on the surface
- Add fertilizer for flowering plants several times a year
- Mulch the base of the shrub to maintain humidity in the pot
Oleander in winter
If you live in an area where it does not freeze or very little, you can leave it in the ground, unprotected.
If, on the contrary,it's freezing in your area, protect your oleander with a wintering veil.
- Depending on the variety, the resistance can go up to -15 ° but the young oleanders will always be better protected.
- Read our tips for wintering oleander in winter
Oleander leaves that turn yellow
In the majority of cases, this is a problem watering or from gel.
> Watering the oleander:
- Oleander should be planted in soil well drained because any excess water causes yellowing of the leaves.
- In summer, water generously when the weather is hot, especially if grown in a container.
> Oleander which froze:
- If the branches wither, remove the affected parts by cutting just below them and your bay leaf will start again.
- Yes all the oleander is affected, he may die.
Oleander is susceptible to certain diseases, often characterized by yellowing leaves or white streaks.
A regular supply of Bordeaux mixture helps prevent most fungi.
- Mealybugs: A whitish amac forms, slightly cottony.
- The canker: Small brown and rounded spots form on the leaves.
- Aphids: Leaves curl then turn black before falling.
To know about the oleander
This shrub gives magnificent pink or white flowers throughout the summer and its elongated leaves are reminiscent of more Mediterranean vegetation.
In hedges, as a windbreak but also in isolation, the laurel tree will need mulching in winter to protect its foliage and roots from the cold.
Easy to care for and grow, this is without doubt one of the most beautiful summer flowering shrubs.
Beware of the toxicity of oleander: Contact with hands and mouth can be dangerous for health.
Read also :
- In summer, multiplying oleanders by cuttings is very easy!
- Flowering shrub ideas for a colorful hedge
- Find other summer flowering shrubs
Photo © BeSilvestre