Green tomato jam is a delicious recipe and a useful way to take advantage of tomatoes that have not had time to ripen.
Often made in the fall at the end of the harvest, this recipe can also be made in the spring when the first green tomatoes appear.
From picking to potting, follow our advice for a successful green tomato and lemon jam.
2kg of green tomatoes, very firm
1.5 kg of granulated sugar
Preparation time for the green tomato and lemon jam:
Preparation time :
About 30 min
12 to 24 hours of maceration
Cooking time :
This is an original recipe but it is quite possible to decorate it with other fruits, spices or aromas that you choose according to your tastes and therefore you can tell us in the comment section below. from this page
Green tomato and lemon jam recipe
- Preferably choose firm green tomatoes
- Wash thoroughly your green tomatoes in cold water without damaging them, then drain them to remove the remaining water.
- Then dry them in a clean cloth.
Prepare the fruits for maceration:
It's a milestone because the finer the fruit, the better the jam
- Peel the apple, seed it and cut it into very thin slices
- Wash the lemon and cut it
- Remove the stems from the green tomatoes and any damaged parts
- Also cut the green tomatoes into very thin slices
- In a container, overlap the slices green tomatoes, apple and lemon, adding the sugar on each floor.
Let stand 12 to 24 hours in the fridge by covering with stretch film.
12 to 24 hours after:
- Put everything in a large copper basin, a pot or any other large container such as casserole or large saucepan.
- Bring to the boil and keep it boiling for about twenty minutes, stirring constantly, especially if your container tends to hang.
- Mix everything roughly enough to keep pieces of fruit.
- Then reduce the heat to minimum for 5 minutes.
Make sure the green tomato jam is well cooked:
- To make sure the fruit is well cooked, pour a tablespoon into a cold plate and see if it freezes. If so, your jam is ready.
- soak your jars in boiling water for a few minutes to sterilize them
- Fill them with the green tomato and lemon jam, close and turn your jars.
- Let stand for a few minutes then let them cool slowly and in place.
Notice to comments and variations of green tomato and lemon jams!
Also find the other homemade jam recipes
Read also : all you need to know about growing tomatoes