A true specialty of the North, here is the free-range chicken waterzoi with beer.
Ingredients for 4 persons :
- 1 free-range chicken (about 1.6 kg)
- 40 cl of beer for aging
- 40 cl of chicken stock
- 30g butter
- 30 cl of whipping cream
- 4 eggs
- Salt pepper
- 2 carrots
- 1/2 celery ball
- 2 whites of leek
- 2 endives
- 1 onion
- 20 g butter
Free-range chicken waterzoï
For garnish :
- Peel the onion, cut it into quarters.
- Peel the carrot and celery. Remove the first leaves, often damaged, from the leek whites and endives. Cut all of these vegetables into sticks 4 centimeters long, melt in 20 g of butter.
- Cut the chicken into 8 raw pieces (or ask your butcher to do it). In a casserole dish, brown all these pieces in 30 g of butter on all sides. Season. Deglaze with the beer, reduce, pour in the hot chicken stock, bring to the boil for 10 minutes.
Add the vegetable garnish. Leave to cook uncovered.
- In a bowl, mix the egg yolks with the cream. Add this mixture to the contents of the casserole, stop cooking just before resuming boiling.
- On each plate, place a piece of meat, distribute the vegetables and top with the sauce.
Chef's B.A.ba and free-range chicken waterloo
The beers for aging are high fermentation beers, refermented in bottles, from the north-east of France. Originally made on farms, today manufactured industrially, they are blond, brown, golden or amber, have a fairly classic beer taste and good quality. They sometimes have spicy notes.
Words from the kitchen
Cover : Pour a liquid (a cream, a sauce, a coulis…) so as to cover a preparation.
Reduce : evaporate a liquid to concentrate the flavor of a food by bringing it to a boil.
Cut into fine julienne : Cut into regular slices 1 to 2 mm thick then layer and cut into filaments of a few centimeters = cut into thin sticks (eg leek julienne, orange zest julienne ...).
Also to discover:
- Classic chicken waterzoi
- The fish waterzoi
Recipe: T. Debéthune, Photo: C. Herlédan