Animals

Dog and chocolate: toxicity, symptoms and measures to take


Ingesting 50 grams of dark chocolate for a ten kilogram dog can be fatal in less than 24 hours!

You are told how the symptoms of poisoning manifest themselves and what steps to take to save their life.

Why is chocolate toxic to dogs?

Rich in cocoa, dark chocolateis particularly toxicfor our dogs, because it contains atheobromin.

  • The dog's body slowly and with difficulty eliminates theobromine.
  • The accumulation of this substance leads to intoxication.
  • This intoxication is hepatic and acts on the nervous system.
  • The heart rhythm is disturbed, the contractions of the heart are abnormal.

Note that the milk chocolate and the White chocolatemust be consumed in greater quantity to be dangerous, because they contain more sugar and less cocoa (100 grams of milk chocolate against 50 grams of dark chocolate).

Did you know ?

Grapes, onions, garlic, avocado, leeks, sprouted potatoes, oleander, ficus and lilies are also toxic to our companions.

You should also avoid milk, canned tuna, cod liver oil or even macadamia nuts.

Chocolate poisoning: symptoms

If you find the disappearance of chocolatein your home, watch your dog carefully. The sooner you detect the symptoms of chocolate poisoning, the sooner treatment can be implemented.

It's about a vital emergency!

Symptoms of poisoning:

  • Gasps and excitement
  • Digestive disorders, diarrhea and vomiting.
  • Tremors and convulsions (which may go as far as coma).
  • The dog drinks and urinates a lot.

Breeds more sensitive to the toxicity of chocolate:

The French Bulldog, Pug, Boxer, English Bull Dog, and Cavalier King Charles are particularly susceptible to chocolate consumption because they exhibit difficultiesrespiratory and are naturally cardiac.

My dog ​​ate chocolate: what to do?

  • Do not try to make him vomit yourself.
  • At the first signs of intoxication, you must surrender immediatelyat your vet or veterinary emergency.
  • If in doubt, contact the poison control center.Depending on the breed, weight, nature and amount of chocolate consumed, a professional will explain the first steps to save your dog.

Treatment of chocolate poisoning

  • Induce vomiting.
  • Gastric lavage.
  • Administration of charcoal to absorb theobromine.
  • Infusion of hepatic protector.
  • Medicine for diarrhea.

All of the treatments offered may take a long time to work. Fortunately, in most cases the outcome is favorable. But beware !

The fast support is a factor crucial!

Did you know ?

Regularly offer a square of dark chocolateyour dog gradually predisposes him to have heart failure by accumulation of theobromine.

Smart advice

Nothing like prevention!

  • Do not tempt your dog with human food.
  • Place toxic foods high up.
  • Put garbage cans and compost out of reach.

Raise awareness among children who are always inclined to share their snack with their pooch.


ATmeditate:

"An idea is like a pain au chocolat. You have to let it cool down to know if it's really good. "

Serge Uzzan

L.D.


© photo1: ArmadilloStock, © photo2: humonia

Video: Has My Dog Been Poisoned? top poisoning symptoms in dogs (November 2020).