The potato (Solanum tuberosum) is a perennial plant native to South America that offers many health benefits and virtues.
It is one of the most consumed vegetables in Europe and the favorite of the French: we consume around 30 kg per year per inhabitant!
- Vegetable garden: potato cultivation
- Cooking: recipe with potato
Potato, benefits and virtues
Rich in carbohydrate, potassium, magnesium but also in fiber, the potato is considered a complete vegetable and contributes to a good nutritional balance associated with a varied diet. It contains an impressive amount of vitamins and minerals with beneficial effects for health.
- Very rich in potassium when she is cooked in water, the potato is diuretic and prescribed in people's plans cardiac.
- Baked, the potato is very rich in vitamin C, which makes them the queen of our winter vegetables. We recognize him elsewhere antiscorbutic virtues (scurvy is a disease caused by a lack of vitamin C in the diet).
- Potato steamed is an ideal food for sportsmen because it provides theenergy necessary over a long period of time and the potassium and magnesium it contains participates in the contraction of muscle cells.
- Contrary to popular belief, the potato is a food dietetic who feeds without fattening and finds its place in a low calorie diet. Provided of course not to eat them in the form of fries !
- The potato also relieves stomach pain. If you suffer from gastric ulcer, know that the juice extracted from raw potato will relieve your pain and will help the ulcer to heal by reducing thestomach acidity.
- Somenaturopaths recommend raw potato in external use fortreat the little ones everyday sores : contusions, minor burns, headaches, back or joint pain.
Growing the potato
Potatoes need Sun but don't appreciate not too hot places. They will flourish in a light soil but humus. The ideal is a good garden soil, rich and well-drained but fresh, with a rather neutral pH. The calcareous earth makes them more susceptible to disease.
There are approximately 120 varieties of potatoes although the 30 more cultivated represent 90% of French production. Size, shape, precocity, firm or floury flesh are all elements that differentiate potatoes from one another.
Among the varieties tastier, there are pink-fleshed potatoes, however less productive than those with yellow flesh.
- Vegetable garden: successful potato cultivation
Potatoes in the kitchen
In water, steamed, in the oven, mashed or in a salad,potatoes are always eaten cooked!
If you like steamed potatoes, go for new potatoes.
For perfect success with your mashed potatoes, soups or baked potatoes, choose a later variety.
And for fries, firm potatoes are best: Charlotte, Samba or Bintje.
Know that the more potatoes are colorful, the more beneficial they are: blue, purple, yellow or red pulpit, these varieties are particularly interesting because of their exceptionally high content inantioxidants.
75 kcal / 100 g. Potatoes are rich in magnesium, in fiber and in potassium which gives it many benefits. They also contain a lot of vitamins E, B1, B6 and C and of starch. The potato is a slow sugar, one of the best, that the body assimilates very well, without immediately storing it as fat like refined sugars.
- Cooking: recipe with potato