If there is one fruit that can be stored for long months and that can be enjoyed until the dead of winter, it is the apple.
The ultimate preservative fruit, apples can be stored in good conditions until Christmas and sometimes even beyond.
From picking to storage, here are the rules to follow for optimal conservation of apples.
The varieties of conservation apples
The choice of apples is important because not all of them keep equally well.
Although all apples can be kept for several months in good conditions, there are varieties that keep more easily, some of which can be eaten until spring.
Here are varieties of apple trees very good conservation:
- Belle of Boskoop
- Beautiful girl from Salins
- Calville winter white
- Delbard Jubilee
- Pentecost apple
- Reinette de brive
- Reinette de Caux
- Reinette de Cuzy
- Reinette Grise from Canada
- Reinette de Saintonge
There are still many others as the number of varieties of apples is large, there are more than 1000!
This is one of the most important steps in preserving your apples.
No need to pick up apples that have fallen to the ground because they are very fragile and they usually only last a few days. You have to eat them quickly or make oneclafoutis, a crumble or even the jam.
You have to pick the apples from the tree but, be careful, you have to choose them well and perform this operation in dry weather.
- Choose apples that are not too ripe or too green
- Lifting the apple slightly, make 1/4 turn of the tail
- If the apple comes off, it's good to pick
- We place it delicately in its basket so as not to damage it
The selection of apples that will keep best
In order to ensure that each apple is free from disease or fungus, a first step will be taken to select the apples of 1st choice.
- Spread the apples out without touching each other to avoid possible contamination
- Then observe the apples for a few days
- Eliminate apples that show signs of weakness (blackening, coloring, browning, spots, etc.)
- Isolate the most beautiful apples, the ones that look the healthiest
Storage and preservation of apples for the winter
It is this step that will determine how well your apples are stored because, under the right conditions, you will be able to keep them beyond Christmas, sometimes until spring.
- Spread out the apples without them touching each other on crates
- Make sure that the air circulates well all around the apples
- Store the crates away from light and humidity and ideally at a temperature of around 10 °
- Inspect your apples regularly to remove what spoils first as quickly as possible.
With these few tips you should be able to store your apples for long months and thus have fresh fruit in winter.
- Find our advice for grow your apple trees well
- here's how improve fruit harvest
- Looking for a apple-based recipe, it's here